Teen Drinking + Driving
Youth aged 16-24 are involved in 28% of all alcohol-related driving accidents—the highest percentage represented. This is for many reasons:
- They tend to be relatively inexperienced drivers
- They are relatively inexperienced drinkers
- They have low impulse control
- They have a false sense of being invincible
- Since they can be very “me-oriented,” it can be hard for them to think about how their actions could harm others.
It’s important that parents talk to their teens about the dangers of drinking or driving, or riding with someone who has—including you! Consider letting them know that’s it’s better for them to call you for a ride, than it is for them to get in a car with someone who has been drinking, or doing some other drug like marijuana.